This Friday is Cinco de Mayo, which means you need to learn how to make these coffee-crusted steak tacos ASAP. You may be wondering why you'd put coffee in perfectly good tacos. Besides the fact that we're a little nuts for coffee at Royal Cup, the grounds also add a delicious, flavorful crust to steak that's unbeatable. If you've never tried it, you're seriously missing out.
Need some cocktails to go with your coffee-crusted steak tacos? Try these Apricot Peach Tea Margaritas or a Mexican Coffee. After trying this taco and cocktail combo, your friends will want you to host every Cinco de Mayo!
How to Make Coffee-Crusted Steak Tacos
Ingredients (makes 8 tacos)
- 1.5 lbs skirt steak
- 1 red onion
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 lime
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. ground coffee (we especially love using our H.C. Valentine Mexican 100% Organic coffee)
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop onion, tomatoes, and cilantro. Add in black beans and chopped jalapeno. Juice and zest 1/2 lime and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Season steak with coffee grounds, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Sauté in a pan with olive oil for 3 minutes on each side, then finish in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Let rest for 5-10 minutes so juices can evenly distribute.
- Assemble your tacos -- slice the steak into bite-size pieces and place in your corn tortillas. Garnish with beans and pico de gallo, cotija cheese, and avocado.
- Finish with a squeeze of lime juice and enjoy!