Sweet tea popularity is rising like the temperatures throughout the country. Here's our healthier alternative to your favorite southern sweet tea recipe...
Sweet tea is great; it's the perfect companion to BBQ, grilling out and summer activities. While we (southerners) drink sweet tea like it comes out of a faucet it is easy to get carried away with the sugar content and make this refreshing beverage a little more like syrup and a lot less like tea.
Luckily we've consulted our Tea Manager Marshall and he's helped us craft a healthier recipe option to the standard southern sweet tea. So whether you're looking to cut down on your sugar intake or try something different give our healthier southern tea recipe a try!
- Local, raw honey
- 2 bags, packs or scoops of your favorite Royal Cup Iced Tea
- 1 gallon glass pitcher
- Fresh lemon (optional)
- Boil half a gallon of cold filtered water
- Remove from heat and steep tea bags/packs for 5 minutes
- Remove tea bags/packs
- Add 3/4 cup of local, raw honey to sweeten to taste and stir
- Dilute with half gallon of cold filtered water
- Pour into pitcher and place in refrigerator
- Cut one wedge of lemon and place into drink with handful of ice
- Enjoy your new favorite summer tea recipe
The key ingredient in this recipe is the raw, local honey. It's much healthier for your body than sugar and can actually help you fight allergies, get a healthy dose of vitamins, and get rid of sore throats!
And we know local, raw honey is difficult to find so here's a short list we've compiled for our Birmingham readers on where they can find quality honey near them!
- Pure Alabama Honey
- Red Mountain Honey
- Shelby County Beekeepers Association List of places to buy raw local honey
Support you local bee keepers and make the most of your summer!