For our weekly segment, Ultimate Tailgate with Southern Chefs, we bring you Beef Brisket Chili!
From our friends at AL.com - College football season is underway, and that means it's time to bring your tailgate game to the next level. Every week this season, AL.com and Royal Cup will bring you recipes guaranteed to impress your friends at your tailgate or game-day gathering with our Ultimate Tailgate with Southern Chefs.
This week, Chef Joey Dickerson from Fancy's On 5th in Birmingham shows Lauren Sisler how to make a simple yet satisfying meal for your tailgate that has proven to be a crowd-pleaser: Beef Brisket Chili. Check out the recipe below and watch Chef Dickerson prepare this quick and easy dessert in the video above.
Beef Brisket Chili:
- 1 beef brisket (3-5 pounds, depending on how many you're serving)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Roasted red bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno, chopped garlic
- 1 large can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 large can of chili beans
- Chili powder
- Chili seasoning
Spice Rub for Brisket:
- Brown sugar
- Ground coffee
- California red chili powder
- Dried basil
- Dark chili powder
- Southern Flavor charbroil seasoning
- Ground mustard
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Spice rub (noted above)
- Beer (1 bottle)
- Score the brisket by cutting into the meat in a criss-cross pattern.
- Rub in spice rub on both sides of the brisket, making sure to get the rub inside the scoring. Save a small amount of the spice rub to use in the braising liquid.
- Roast the brisket in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove brisket from oven and transfer to a braising pan. Add braising liquid to pan then cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Slow cook in an oven for 5 hours.
- Remove from oven and slice brisket. Pull meat apart, removing larger chunks of fat.
- In a large pot, sweat chopped shallot, onion, roasted red pepper, and jalapenos in a small amount of oil.
- Add chopped garlic, followed by the pulled beef brisket.
- Add leftover braising liquid, chopped tomatoes, chili beans, chili powder, chili seasoning.
- Serve with hot sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, or chopped jalapeno to taste.