For our weekly segment, Ultimate Tailgate with Southern Chefs, we show you how to make a southern staple – fried okra!
College football season has begun and that means it's time to bring your tailgate game to the next level. Every week this season, w’ell bring you recipes guaranteed to impress your friends at your tailgate or game day gathering with Ultimate Tailgate with Southern Chefs.
This week, Chef Terrill Brazelton of Slice Pizza shows us how to whip up some fried okra, a perfect side dish for your favorite tailgate treats!
- 1 pound fresh okra
- Cayenne pepper
- Corn flour
- Corn meal
- All-purpose flour
- Wash okra then cut into whatever size pieces you prefer.
- Soak okra pieces in mixture of buttermilk and cayenne pepper for about 10 minutes.
- Mix equal parts corn flour, corn meal, and all purpose flour in a mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Dip okra in batter mixture and roll around to coat thoroughly.
- Fry in hot oil at 350 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve with dipping sauce of your choice.