Looking to shave calories for the new year? We have a simple pro tip that can help save you calories and make you healthier in 2016!
As we talked about yesterday, coffee is the perfect companion for your workout and can help you get the most out of your daily exercise. However, we forgot to put a small asterisk next to that statement. While coffee can be a great workout boost, it can actually slow you down if you are filling your cup with packets/spoonfuls of cream or sugar. These additives will hurt you during your workout and add unnecessary calories to your pre-workout cup of joe.
Luckily, we have a solution for those of you who may not enjoy their coffee black as the night. Healthy and affordable Coconut oil!
Coconut oil is a wonderful coffee additive. You can find article, after article, after article about people who use coconut oil as their coffee additive and how it benefits their body. You've probably heard of coconut oil from the bulletproof coffee craze (we'll be talking about that more in coming weeks). Turns out there's something to this healthy additive.
Here are 3 quick reasons why you should add coconut oil to your coffee instead of cream or sugar.
- Gives you energy - Coconut oil is made up of Medium Chain Triglycerides. MCTs are more rapidly absorbed by the body and are quickly metabolized as fuel (not stored as fat). Unlike cream or sugar which will linger in your system. This quick conversion means a jump in energy. Pair that with the caffeine from your coffee and you have nature's best energy drink.
- Boosts your immune system - Almost 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil are Lauric Acid. Lauric acid is potent in antimicrobial properties and work to help keep your body healthy by preventing disease transmission.
- Speeds up your metabolism - The MCTs that we spoke about above, found in coconut oil, not only are quickly metabolized in the body but, actually help raise your body's metabolism as a whole. According to this study a group of female volunteers were given a daily dietary supplement of either coconut oil or soybean oil. After 3 months the researchers found that the women given the coconut oil experienced a significant reduction in both BMI and waist circumference. Yup, that means drinking coconut oil daily can help your body more efficiently burn fat and calories!
Ok, so we have established that coconut oil in your coffee is pretty amazing. You're probably wondering at this point how much you should add to your coffee to feel the full benefits.
Here is our quick How-To guide:
- Prepare some of your favorite Royal Cup or H.C. Valentine Coffee (we recommend one of our organic blends)
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil to your brewed coffee
It's that simple! Give this a try and let us know what you think of the taste on our Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn