At Royal Cup, our mission to serve up the world’s best coffee goes beyond taste and aroma. We believe it’s not just about what we create, but how we create it that matters. We are always looking for ways to positively impact the world around us, and supporting the fair trade industry is essential in doing so. On World Fair Trade Day, we’re sharing five facts you should know about this cause and how you can get involved.
Let’s start with the basics…. What does fair trade actually mean?
Fair trade is a global movement made up of a diverse network of producers, companies, shoppers, advocates, and organizations around the world committed to putting people and the planet first. Fair trade is based on the idea that products bought and sold are tied to the livelihoods of others, creating a world-changing approach to facilitating business. When you see a product with the Fair Trade Certified™ seal, you can be sure it was made according to rigorous social, environmental, and economic standards.
- Today, Fair Trade Certified™ products originating in 45 countries are being sold in the United States. Those purchases add up to a significant impact towards producers in countries that need it the most.
- Coffee was the first Fairtrade product, certified in 1988.
- Since 1998, producers have earned a total financial benefit of $610 million through sales of Fair Trade Certified products, including over $400 million in Community Development Funds and $200 million as a result of the Fair Trade Minimum Price.
- 80% of all Fairtrade coffee comes from Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Royal Cup has purchased 3,443,516 lbs of certified coffee since joining the Fair Trade movement in 2008.
How can you get involved?
Amidst a worldwide health crisis, it is now more important that ever to contribute to this important cause. The safety net of Fair Trade’s Minimum Price and Premium is vital to those who need it now and in the coming months, as global trade goes through unprecedented stresses.
Royal Cup’s premium fair-trade certified products make it easy (and tasty) to support this important movement!
ROAR House Blend 100% Fair Trade
There’s no sweeter way to wake up than with this amazing ROAR blend! Notes of cocoa and caramel add the most brew-tiful flavors.
Here are a few drink recipes that compliment this blend, perfectly!
Sumatran Mentawai Bold Fair-Trade Organic K-Cup
Bold and decadent, this blend is rich in character and features a spicy twist that speaks to its tropical roots. Not to mention, the K-Cup makes it easy to take this delicious drink on-the-go and fuel you for whatever the day may bring!
Try out this blend with this incredible Samoa Cookie Iced Coffee recipe!
On World Fair Trade Day, we hope this blog taught you a little more about this cause and why it’s important. We encourage you to spread awareness and support this industry in any way you can!